Use this calendar to help plan your Jamboree journey. Keep updated with pages from Time to Plan and events held by the Jamboree Management Team.
Allow 18 at least months – The timeline for preparing to go to a Jamboree needs to be about 18 months. The prime driver is the fundraising and 12 months or less is simply not enough time to allow the project to proceed with minimal stress for the team involved.
Everyone gets a copy – Get parents and leaders, including the Patrol Leaders, involved in creating the timeline. The better they understand it and take ownership of it, the more committed they will be to the project.
Time to start work on a budget if you have not already. Estimates will do.
The approach to funding trips to a jamboree varies considerably from Troop to Troop. Some parents opt to fund the cost themselves where they find they do not have the time to commit to fundraising.
Other Troops choose to fundraise, nearly always achieve the goal and while doing so, the parents, leaders and Scouts tend to become friends and more supportive of the Troop. This also provides a great recruitment opportunity and encourages retention in the Troop.
The Time To Plan document contains more details and examples.
The big decisions are best made early so the smaller details do not hold you back.
It is time to:
- Ask for tentative registrations as an indication of numbers
- Decide who could be your Troop Leader
- Work with the Zone Scout Leader to merge Troops in the Zone to optimise transport and fundraising opportunities for the Jamboree Troops, or to merge with Troops in another island to save the movement of the heavy gear
- Determine how the funds are going to be raised
- Determine how the Jamboree Troop will travel to the Jamboree and home again
- Check what gear is available from within the Zone before making grant applications to source gear
For Groups doing Fundraising, start doing so now.
If the approximate cost of a Scout attending Jamboree is $1500, then it’s only around $25 per week that needs to be raised from now until December!
The Time to Plan document has some helpful hints. Your local Zone team may also be able to assist with fundraising ideas or opportunities.