Use this calendar to help plan your Jamboree journey. Keep updated with pages from Time to Plan and events held by the Jamboree Management Team.
Allow 18 at least months – The timeline for preparing to go to a Jamboree needs to be about 18 months. The prime driver is the fundraising and 12 months or less is simply not enough time to allow the project to proceed with minimal stress for the team involved.
Everyone gets a copy – Get parents and leaders, including the Patrol Leaders, involved in creating the timeline. The better they understand it and take ownership of it, the more committed they will be to the project.
Now is a good time to:
- Make decision on whether to hire gear as cheaper option rather than transporting
- Registration should be completed for scouts, leaders
- Publish the estimated fee and transport costs
This list below is not an exhaustive list but it does cover the major items of equipment that need to be considered when planning the campsite.
Start with the Site design
Pull up your last Group Jamboree site plan. For the 22nd Jamboree the site size will be approx. the same as the previous one, around 700 sqm. At this stage you may not know the shape of your site. The following topics will affect the design:
- The size, type and number of tents used for the Patrols and adults, include the female/male split.
- If using a container for transporting gear, where on the site will you put it and which way will the doors open?
- What are you using for the dining shelter? A marquee or a large tent?
Plan for 1m spacing between sleeping tents, 1.5m from site Boundary. Tents must be 3m away from Marquees, store or kitchen tents. This will be confirmed less than 12 months out from the start of the Jamboree.
The pressure starts increasing from now on! Keep building the excitement with your Scouts, remind them of the end goal of all their fundraising and how much fun they will have this time next year.
Now’s the time to be working together as a Troop. Organise patrols and patrol leaders, get out and have a camp (or several) together. You can design your uniforms and badges at camp, or have them made ready to show everyone. Plan your kitchen setup, make some camp gadgets and get excited for Jamboree!